Saturday, September 1, 2007

Throwing To The Winds


"We have to somehow become capable of throwing all our limitations to the winds, so that the Holy Spirit can do through us works that are inconceivable."
--Thomas Merton

There is great pleasure in throwing to the winds. I've always enjoyed the act of disposing of freshly gutted watermelon. Carefully balancing it's heaviness all the way out to the edge of the yard, hoisting it above my shoulder to cast the slippery carcuss as hard and far as I can over the barbed wire fence into the pasture, and then watching it wobble clumsy and heavy and disappear into the yellow grass that grows there as high as my thigh. A spirit of enormous satisfaction and graditude follows the act of returning to earth, what it had first given me. I try and sneak an apple's core or an orange rind down into the creek behind my house nearly every day. God calls us to practice the same with Him. He gives us gifts, and we must enjoy the response of hoisting them back towards Him, and with them, "throwing all our limitations to the wind" as an act of obedience and faith.