Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Ideal.

What a great post from Andrea at flourishingmother:

"Yesterday I was talking with a good friend on the phone about "less than ideal" circumstances. At this point in my life, I feel like my circumstances really have a hold on me--not allowing me to reach or achieve my "ideals". While I know full well God works in imperfect situations, after awhile, the battle gets hard, and I am exhausted.
My sweet friend reminded me of Jesus' birth: how He was prophesied to be born in Bethlehem since the beginning of time, how Mary endured labor on a donkey, and when they got to the town where the King of Kings was prohesised to be born, there was no room for them in the freaking inn! (pardon my language.) Wouldn't you think God would prepare a nice, cushy spot for His own Son to be born? At the very least, wouldn't you expect a measly room to stay in and labor in?
But no.
Mary gave birth to the Son of God in a dirty smelly stable.
All circumstances were seemingly against them.
All ideals out the window.
Things were not perfect.
But God showed up. Oh yes He did.

This post is going to be part of a series of posts I hope to write in the future about becoming a "Recovering Idealist". While ideals are great and good, they are often not what God has in mind. When we let those ideals get in the way of the life God has planned, then they become idols. I don't want to let go of my ideals, merely let God work in the imperfect circumstances, and thank Him for it.

"Anyone who imagines that bliss is normal is going to waste a lot of time running around shouting that he's been robbed....Life is like an old-time rail journey--delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders, and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed.

The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride."
~Jenkins Lloyd Jones"