Saturday, August 9, 2008

Mama don't take my Kodachrome away.



There is a fleeting beauty as a development approaches finished. The energy and bare bones exposed. A bit more slippery and a different sort of beauty. There is a painting in the living room that guests usually at some point ask if I'm, "working on". Partly also, because it's on an easel. I decided in college to keep it unfinished, thinking at the time that it was at it's height and to stop there and let potential complete it. Probably didn't want to risk that the superficial details might ruin it. I don't know that I still agree about the potential thing, but it still has rightful beauty. Not saying that denial of the reality of the finished product is a healthy state or anything, Jay described to me once that keeping in mind that we were created for the Garden, fantasy can sometimes align more perfectly with the true reality of things to come. It might be idealistic, but isn't that what Jesus will bring to us one day? Streets of gold? Beauty beyond imagination. The body perfected through Christ!